Using the Map
The main features of the map are as follows:
There are several ways to move around the interactive map.
- To pan (slide), use your mouse to click and drag, or the arrow keys on your keyboard.
- To zoom in or out, use the + zoom button to view a smaller area, and the – zoom button to zoom out to see a larger area. Alternately, you can zoom using the mouse scroll wheel, or the + and – keys on your keyboard numeric key pad. To zoom in, you can also press and hold the Shift key and drag a box on the map with the mouse.
- To zoom the map to its initial extent, click the Default extent button, or hit F5 to reload the web page
Enter a postcode or keywords into the Search box at the top of the map to find locations such as addresses, places, and points of interest. Suggestions will appear as you type so you can choose a location from the list that appears. The map will be automatically zoomed to the closest match.
To view different map layers, choose from the options in the selection boxes on the left side of the map. When you choose from these boxes, the map will automatically update. You will be unable to make additional choices until the map update has finished.
- Crop selection – change the crop for which data is displayed.
- The Data Layer selection allows you to choose from different yield layers. See the Glossary for explanations of these layers.
- The Year or Decile options:
- Select ‘Year’ to view maps for the average of all years, or for individual years.
- Select ‘Decile’ to view maps showing the yield and yield gaps divided into ten equal classes, with Decile 1 representing the lowest 10% of yields, and Decile 10 the highest 10% of yields.
- Use the Area detail selection to see the map data at different levels of detail. Data can be displayed for SA2s, GRDC Subregions and Regions.
- Make sure the map is displaying Statistical Local Areas (SA2s), not GRDC Subregions or Regions.
- Locate and click on the SA2 to compare with (zoom and pan the map to find the SA2, or search by post-code)
- Click on the SA2 to display its details. A marker on the map shows the SA2 currently selected.
- In the SA2 details box, click the Compare My Farm button.
Note: The irrigation icon indicates SA2s in which irrigated cropping may affect actual yields estimates. This is a warning that the Yield Gap is probably under estimated in this SA2.
The main features of the Compare My Farm tool are:
- If unsure about the soil types listed, click the soil name to learn more.
- For each of the soil types, enter the area of that soil type as percentage of the farm.
- For each of the soils, enter the actual yields obtained for the selected year or your 15 year average yields.
- Once you have completed entering soil and yield details, click the Calculate button to see the yields, yield gaps and relative yields calculated for your farm.